Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Week 2, Jan 18 2011

Hello people!!!!
Just to start out, if you want to email me here at the MTC, don't.... send me a letter because with emails i dont have much time to read and also write.  So try to send them before tuesday, that way i can respond in my next email.  Sorry to hear about Brock's ankle but it happened for a reason because everything happens for a reason.  Remember that.  Blake, thanks the wedding invitation and i told some people that i got dear john'd already haha and for a bit they believed me.  I love the family goals you made but might i  add one for you all?  Make a goal to give at least a couple refferals to the missionaries please!  I wish i would've done it more.  The missionaries are the full time teachers, the members should be the full time finders.  Try to do that.  It really helps out a ton.  Tell Paco and T congrats on the mission calls and also let me know when they are coming to the MTC. 
Elder H. left for Portugal this week and that was sad cuz now I don't see him every day.  But let me tell you, he is such a great missionary already.  I can see it in his countenance and in his speech.  This place really changes people for the better.  I'm so happy for him and it is the best thing ever to see friends becoming such good people. 
So alot of stuff happened within the next 24 hours of last writing you.  One of the Elders left so Elder D., the one who has been here for 13 weeks is now part of my companionship.  And let me tell you it is such a blessing to have him.   Having 3 in a comp has been an answer to prayers.  We all get along so well and have a good time and learn tons from each other.  Also, we got a new MTC presidency and they are pretty sweet.  I'm excited.  In the TRC (Teaching Resource Center), where we practice meeting people in cambodian and set up an appointment to teach them and then 5 mins later teach them, I met the Gooch's grandma. I got to teach her and it was pretty awesome.  People volunteer to come to the TRC to let us teach them even tho most are members.  Me and my comp did very well teaching lesson one, in English of course. 

I've been learning sooooo much from my two teachers and I am loving it.  Bro G. speaks only in Khmae so I haven't learned as much from him but Bro O. when he wants to teach us something important he speaks in English, has made such an impact on me.  The spirit is so strong when he testifies of different things and i Love it!  Some things I've learned from him:  The atonement not only helps us overcome sin but also all of our weaknesses -  that is so cool!  also: If we all saw who God intended for us to become, we would never act the same, we would do all that we could to become that person.  So why don't we try?  Anyways that is just a taste :)
Lastly and my favorite was Elder Jeffrey R. Holland came and spoke to us!  Elder T. and I got to sing in the choir for the devotional and had pretty good seats for his talk.  Not even kidding, that talk changed my life.  Never have I felt the spirit so strong and felt so much power in a talk as I did that night.  It was incredible.  Elder Holland talked to us about becoming better missionaries.  And I want to live up to everything he asked us to do.  He told us that we can because this is the Lord's work and He wants us to be better so He will help us.  Here are a few things that i wrote down:
-The fundamental change that is being changed in missionary work is converting YOU first and then turning to converting the investigator
-We are supposed to "get this" (the gospel) way before we take it to the investigators
-We not only have to be the best missionaries the church has ever seen, but after our missions we have to continue and be the best people the church has ever seen(this one is for everyone.  We have to be the best people the church has ever seen. ALL of us)
-WE ARE THE HOPE OF ISRAEL
-The last thing and my favorite- We have to be better, not because the prophet or apostles say we do, but because the world needs US to be better.
I hope you can kinda feel how important it is that we as missionaries and members need to be better.
I love you all and pray for you every day. 
Just to let you know the language is going good and i am starting to interpret script!  It's coming! 
Gotta go!

--

Love,
     Elder Brady Johnson

1 comment:

  1. Wow, a big change in one week.He's gone from the physical to the spiritual! How cool to hear Elder Holland and feel his spirit. We are the Hope of Israel! I love that. shelly

    ReplyDelete