Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Week 3, Jan 25 2011

Hello People!  I hope all is well!  First off, thanks for all the many letters and dearelders!  I feel like Elder Van Pelt from the Best Two Years whenever our district leader brings the mail.  So many of them are for me! haha You might not think it is a big deal (i didn't even think it was) but mail is such a big deal here! So thanks. 
So Rosemary, why did i never know you went to cambodia among other places???? That would be something I would've liked to have heard about before I left ha but oh well.  Sounds like a sweet experience.  I am already planning with another Elder for a trip to Cambodia after our missions.  Wanna join? 
Ok so when i heard that the new MTC pres was a mission president in Chicago, i immediately wondered if Kevin knew him and i guess i was right.  I tried to go talk to him but he was busy.  Don't worry mom, i have like 9 more weeks to meet him.  Oh just so you know, i did receive the candy and it was a ton so i'm still good but you could send more next week or something.  I'm glad to hear brock is healing fast.  but that is what i expected cuz he is a champ.  Tell Sims and Ler that they are both studs and that i wish i could see them ballin it up. To answer your question about the temple, yes we go every P-day after i write this email.  It is such a blessing to have it so close and have the opportunity to go once a week.  It made me so happy that Stacy was able to step in for me in answering Brock's movie quote.  No one gets my movie quotes here....
Alright now to the more spiritual matters.  This week was really good.  Elder Gong from the 70 came and spoke and  same with his wife.  His wife shared the history behind the song As Sisters In Zion and it was way cool.  You should look it up.  That song has a new meaning now.  I was also able to watch a talk by Elder Holland from a few years ago at the MTC called miracle of a mission.  Once again, i was blown away by the power and spirit in his talk.  He told us that life is hard.  The reason being, no one ever said it would be easy.  Salvation is not a cheap experience.  When talking about missions, he said that yes they are hard. "If you didn't expect that, welcome to the life of Christ who knew a little bit about cups not wanting to take or paths not neccesarily wanting to take."  So how dare we ask not to partake in just a small amount of the trials/suffering that He took upon Himself.  I learned that any price to pay is a priveledge to pay to say that I stand along side God and Jesus Christ.  I hope you all feel the same.  Yes life will be hard.  The Lord knows that and He will strengthen us and help us if we turn to him. 
As far as the language goes, it goes on.  Me and Elder T are a bit a head of our companions.  The lord has helped me out alot with the language.  Just yesterday the teachers started to only write in script so it takes a little time but i can read it and for the most part understand.  I have also given two spiritual thoughts reading out of the Script(cambodian) Book of Mormon and then explaining/testifying in all Khmae.  My companions and I have also set a goal to try to communicate as much as possible in Khmae.  it amazes me how much i can say if I actually think about it and try. 
Every saturday we go to the TRC and teach an "investigator". we teach in English for now.  We were teaching the 1st lesson and we got to Christ's life and usually you don't go into the atonement much there but we felt impressed to stop and discuss it further.  We told her the blessings that come from the atonement and asked her why it was good for her and she just started bawling.  The spirit was so strong.  If that kind of stuff happens in just role playing, i can't even imagine how it is going to be in real life.  It was an awesome experience. 
Oh so today me and Elder G went with Elder D to the hospital for his check-up for the 2nd time.  Yes, we went into the outside world!  it was sweet!  We passed the marriot center and saw a huge line of people waiting to get tickets to the game... I wanted to go ha.  But while in the outside world it was so cool because people would say "HI Elders" or "hey look its the missionaries" and i would be thinking -hey, thats me! Haha i don't know why but i thought it was cool.  Its funny cuz me and Elder T. say "hey look its the missionaries" all the time to other elders just for fun ha. 
Alright my time is up, unfortunately.  I hope this is long enough Mom :)
I love you all.  Have a great week!
P.S. can you send pics of family, friends, and me and what not cuz my comps want to see them.  Thanks!

--

Love,
     Elder Brady Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment