Monday, October 3, 2011

Conference is great!

Isn't Conference just glorious????!!!!! I feel like it has just blocked out everything else that we did this week cuz I can't remember... ha but first let me respond you all of y'all.
Dad, thanks for the update and detailed report of the BYU game.  Sounds like it was exciting.
Mom I'm so grateful for your efforts in getting all of us together for family dinners whenever possible with are extremely busy schedules. I totally believe that news report about how kids who eat dinner together as a family are way less likely to get into trouble/drugs.  I see it in the homes I go into.  It really is such a simple thing to get the family altogether to eat and it has such huge blessings. Keep trying to have those family dinners.  It makes a difference.  Also, thanks for starting to learn the member missionary lessons.  It means alot to me.
Some cool things of the week: We met with a inactive guy and he invited us to dinner for this week and seems like he wants to come back. I wrote a whole letter to Elder B in Cambodian for his birthday.(it took like an hour to do one page haha but still, it was sweet!).  We had leadership training which is where all the zone leaders, district leaders, and trainers meet together along with the Assistants and President and Sister Evans and we have trainings on different things.  The one I went to was with just our zone and 2 others and our companions didn't come  and so it was just a small group.  We were there from 9am to 3:30pm with 30mins of lunch.  What we do there is the AP's and ZL's and President give different trainings on what we call the Simplified Curriculum which is basically 8 major principles of how to be better teachers/missionaries/leaders.  It was so awesome!  We did lots of role plays (which is easily the best tool we have) for many teaching situations and then discussed/evaluated how we did.  It was just really cool and I learned a ton.  President Evans is a hilarious man and also very very spiritual.  I love him so much.  When he just shakes your hand, you can just tell he loves you.  
So Saturday was the day I was supposed to go speak in front of Clayton Christensen and the ward mission leaders of the stake but as we (the Zone Leaders, Elder A, and I) pulled up to the Cambridge Stake center, we received a call saying it was cancelled :(  So instead we went with the Cambridge South ZL's to a small little fancy Cafe' in down town Cambridge Massachusetts.  Ya picture this.  (I wish I would've gotten a picture of this... but that is beside the point) 6 missionaries, in suits and ties, in a very classy cafe', sipping on hot cocoa or a berry smoothie, listening to the Beatles, on a foggy rainy morning, in down town Cambridge.  Yup it was as epic as it sounds.  Man were we Fancy! We felt like we were living the MIT/Harvard student life (MIT and Harvard are within a few miles of us).  Pretty Legit, huh?! haha.
Then on to Saturday morning session which isn't really in the morning here cuz it starts at noon but oh well.  We show up to the church and there is no satelite connection! We had a few investigators there and we couldn't get it to work and no one had a laptop to try and watch it on.  So we scrambled and finally got everything working with a small laptop and terrible sound quality about an hour into conference.  So yes we missed the whole first hour of conference :(  It was not fun.  But we got it working and got to see some of it.  Then came the baptism which went so perfectly! (it was still stressful like every baptism but still good)  R loved watching conference and then was just so excited for her baptism.  After I baptized her she went into the bathroom to change and you could just hear this loud shout for joy hahaha.  She came into the room afterwards just smiling from ear to ear.  She also stopped the program so that she could bear her testimony haha it was awesome!  It was just an amazing experience. She told me later that we need to go with her to Africa and start saving those people as well!
Priesthood Session was easily my favorite but it also made me miss our tradition of going to iceberg.  Alot of people have asked me, "What do you wish you would've done before your mission?" and the answer I can now give is, Go read all the talks during Priesthood session of October 2011 and that is all you need. 
 
Sunday Elder A and I went up to Lynnfield to watch with Elders B and M and it was nice and relaxing and spiritually uplifting. I don't have much more time but I just want to encourage you to read over and study the talks that have been given.  They are modern day scripture. Take advantage of them.  I know that Thomas Monson is a true prophet. I know that without a doubt.  Our church is lead by God.  Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.  We are so blessed.  The Book of Mormon is true.
I love you all.  Be Good :) 

Love,
     Elder Brady Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment